aufrecht.org 404 Page not found | aufrecht.org (linkrot)
I’ll be presenting a workshop next week at the 2006 AIRS I&R Training and Education Conference. (AIRS is the Alliance of Information & Referral Systems.) The topic of the workshop is “A Non-Technical Introduction to Open Source”. I have attached a working draft of my handout (with some areas incomplete), and would welcome any feedback. In particular, I am wondering what pieces of a Microsoft-based desktop or back office are most amenable (lowest risk; easiest) to replacing with open source. Here are my thoughts on that so far:
- Use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer
- Use OpenOffice instead of MS Office or Corel Office
- Use evolution/thunderbird instead of Outlook
- Use GAIM instead of AIM or Yahoo IM or MSN ...
- Use a pre-installed Open Source desktop and operating system instead of Windows
- Replace your mail/file server with a linux server